You will need to go to our new forum to post new topics

Green Building Press
Insulating Paint additive
   Back To Forum Index

You Are On Page: 1 of 4   >  

Insulating Paint additive

keithposted on 10-08-06
I live in a solid walled house so naturally I want to insulate it somehow. I have looked into external wall insulation but feel it is too expensive. I am considering foam backed plasterboard, although this is not possible in every room because of limited space.

Now I have found a ceramic powder (the idea seems to come have come from America) that is added to any domestic paint, obviously you just paint you walls with the stuff and the wall is insulated. You can read more on this site... http://www.thermilate.com/heattransfer/

Has anyone got any thoughts on weather this is likely to work, or even better, have you used it and felt the benefits?
Paul Teatherposted on 10-08-06
Firstly use insulation backed plasterboard where possible as this will give you the best results.
Also SEAL, SEAL and SEAL - Air leakage will become more important as you insulate.

Paint additive:

It does work and I would use it on all painted surfaces.

But, ignore the manufacturers claims - somebody said that they are simply making it up (I can't remember who).

The physics of how it works is more complicated than the published details and NASA is still keeping secrets.

I based my MSc thesis on a study of microspheres and found that they added a thermal resistance of around 0.17m2k/w (equivalent to 2-3mm of expanded polystyrene). Your Solid wall may be around 0.5m2/k/w

So it is possible to significantly reduce heat loss through a solid wall using this paint (typically 20-30%). More importantly is can be used in window reveals and on just about any surface where space is tight.

I also found that rooms felt warmer and it is very good in bathrooms if a radiant heater is used.

Another alternative is to use expanded polystyrene lining under wallpaper. This also makes a significant difference.
JohnLposted on 10-08-06
Keith, yes external insulation would be ideal, uses the thermal mass of the structure, throws the dewpoint outside etc. but like you say expensive and a bit fiddly when you get to window reveals, doorways and so on. I agree with Paul, insulated plasterboard with a vapour check is next best and then I bow to his superior knowledge on microspheres. An internal lining would also mean the house warms faster. However I'm a traditionalist when it comes to thermal performance calculations. At least unlike some of the new fangled, insulations that apparently have to be measured by different methods, have only non generic perfomance by thickness comparitives and never quote a thermal conductivity value, Thermilate does quote a lambda value however its pretty poor whilst Paul's EPS seems exceptionally good! With your space limitations you might want to look at the Aerogel nanotechnology fleeces behind gypsum boards. Lambda around 0.013W/mK so 3+ times better than EPS, twice as good as PU, 2.5 times as good as XPS, excellent fire and moisture resistance. Comes in 2mm, 4mm and 6mm thicknesses and actually commissioned originally by NASA. Bit pricey but good.
keithposted on 10-08-06
Thanks for both replies, very helpeful and good to hear that the paint additive is worthwhile

John, what you said about 'Aerogel nanotechnology fleeces behind gypsum boards' sounds interesting, would it be possible to provide a link so I can get more information on this please?
JohnLposted on 10-08-06
Keith, sure the link is www.aerogel.com
Not aware of anyone bonding it commercially to gypsum yet but that's simple enough and like other insulations sometimes they get fixed back to the wall first or else sit between battens that then carry the gypsum boards.

harshyposted on 10-08-06
Hi there

I bought a solid wall old house and it was cold and took forever to heat on top plenty of condensation - major stress as its listed building doing anything with it requires planning and all sorts-
i was talking to irish friend of mine who used thermilate over there, Anyway bought a few cans and bloody hell did it make a differnce- no more dripping walls -- i got all the proof i needed even though they now have loads of lab datas from all over Europe and Uk, so mate use it everywhere and get a warmer house and dry walls.

Harshy

You Are On Page: 1 of 4   >        1 2 3 4   >    

Go Back To Forum Index

This month's favourite choices

GreenPro
GreenPro

Do you want to find products that make your buildings greener? Look no further than Greenpro!
Already registered?
Then go to the Login page

Not registered yet?

|   Site Map   |   Home    |   View Cart    |   Links   |   Pressroom   |   Business
Contact us
Logout  

© Green Building Press