Home  5  Books  5  GBEzine  5  News  5  HelpDesk  5  Register  5  GreenBuilding.co.uk
Not signed in (Sign In)


Green Building Bible, Fourth Edition
Green Building Bible, fourth edition (both books)
These two books are the perfect starting place to help you get to grips with one of the most vitally important aspects of our society - our homes and living environment.

PLEASE NOTE: A download link for Volume 1 will be sent to you by email and Volume 2 will be sent to you by post as a book.

Buy individually or both books together. Delivery is free!

powered by Surfing Waves

Vanilla 1.0.3 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome to new Forum Visitors
Join the forum now and benefit from discussions with thousands of other green building fans and discounts on Green Building Press publications: Apply now.

    I am planning to buy a kitchen for my new build directly from a Danish company (Svane). I will be paying in DKK and will get a Danish VAT receipt.

    I know that you can claim back the VAT on a new build, but does anyone have any experience on whether it is possible to claim back the VAT paid in another EU country via the HMRC return?

    We feel the quality of the kitchen is very good for the price, so will be buying it regardless of whether or not we can claim back the VAT, but obviously I'd like to claim back the money if I can!

    • CommentAuthorsnyggapa
    • CommentTimeSep 3rd 2014
    I would be tempted to just claim it, and see what happens.

    Convert with the exchange rate converted at the ECB published rate for the day from here http://www.ecb.int/stats/exchange/eurofxref/html/index.en.html

    you have to convert DKK to euro then euro to GBP but if you do this at independently published rates, I can't see it causing a problem (my self-build reclaim had a whole mix of receipts with no itemised VAT, receipts with some items struck out so I manually recalculated the VAT remaining etc.)

    or alternatively, call them - it may be possible to get them to zero rate the invoice - or check with HMRC, as I can see why they WOULDN'T want to pay it, as you have paid vat to the Danish government but get it repaid by the UK govermenent.

    However - this implies it's all OK - see "purchases abroad" section


    • CommentTimeSep 3rd 2014
    Spookily I just downloaded the guide for this very subject in rediness for my build next year and called the VAT helpline, and they were helpfull. Yes the guide says you can reclaim VAT from any member state.
    Thanks for the responses.

    Joe - that is particularly reassuring to hear
    • CommentTimeSep 3rd 2014 edited
    Here is the forms and guide:-
    Thanks, looks quite simple to complete.

    I am using a main contract which will limit the amount of goods I pay for direct, but there are still a few receipts I will be accumulating.
    • CommentTimeSep 3rd 2014
    • CommentAuthorCWatters
    • CommentTimeSep 3rd 2014 edited
    <blockquote>I know that you can claim back the VAT on a new build, but does anyone have any experience on whether it is possible to claim back the VAT paid in another EU country via the HMRC return?</blockquote>

    Yes and I've done it.

    You can claim back the VAT actually paid even if this is higher than the UK rate :-)

    I stapled the receipt to a sheet of paper containing the figures converted to £ and entered the £ figures on the spreadsheet.
Add your comments

    Username Password
  • Format comments as
The Ecobuilding Buzz
Site Map    |   Home    |   View Cart    |   Pressroom   |   Business   |   Links   

© Green Building Press