Home  5  Books  5  GBEzine  5  News  5  HelpDesk  5  Register  5  GreenBuilding.co.uk
Not signed in (Sign In)


Green Building Bible, Fourth Edition
Green Building Bible, fourth edition (both books)
These two books are the perfect starting place to help you get to grips with one of the most vitally important aspects of our society - our homes and living environment.

PLEASE NOTE: A download link for Volume 1 will be sent to you by email and Volume 2 will be sent to you by post as a book.

Buy individually or both books together. Delivery is free!

powered by Surfing Waves

Vanilla 1.0.3 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome to new Forum Visitors
Join the forum now and benefit from discussions with thousands of other green building fans and discounts on Green Building Press publications: Apply now.

    • CommentAuthorPenkestle
    • CommentTimeMay 21st 2016
    Long story short we have our planning sorted with hand drawn plans I also have all structural drawings and calcs completed but with many instances of 'refer to architect detail' and some areas which just seem to miss the point completely.

    We are on with our build but I am now finding that I need detail and specifications and guidance that I can't obtain from my retired planning architect. Most of what is required I fully understand how to approach and build however there are areas where I need guidance and best practice or instruction. I am also finding that I am being asked for DWG files for various aspects of the build.

    Not sure how I should approach this. Are there people out there who will provide drawings for the detail and specifications that I am missing? or should I enlist the services of an architect and start from scratch minus the planning aspect?

    Guidance from you knowledgeable people would be gratefully appreciated.

    • CommentAuthortony
    • CommentTimeMay 21st 2016
    Architectural technician to draw you building regulations drawings, are you in the UK?
    • CommentAuthorPenkestle
    • CommentTimeMay 21st 2016 edited
    Yes UK based Tony Sunny Cornwall :surprised:
    • CommentTimeMay 21st 2016
    Not sunny today at my end of Cornwall.

    There are a number of free CAD packages that you can use to draw your own details on. Most are not too hard to use.
    • CommentAuthorPenkestle
    • CommentTimeMay 21st 2016
    Not sunny my end neither, in fact rather miserable as I sit looking out from the caravan lol

    Haven't really got the time to start drawing as I am doing the build and keeping the business going

    Also need the experience of someone who can say in this situation you should be using this detail. Just got pulled up by BCO because we are having the inside outside all level and have a large retainer as part of the downstairs build. I could see him twitch and then start to steer me to the 150mm above ground level scenario. When I didn't budge he went straight to drawing detail, which in fairness is understandable. Plus I know exactly what I want to achieve but the BCO hasn't got a scoobydo about the end product given that he's most likely got a huge amount to keep an eye on. So drawings are great, helps keep things nice and clear.

    I am glad he did really because I have identified so many instances where I don't know what or which method would be best employed so now would be a really good time to get all my concerns and issues nailed.
    • CommentAuthorDarylP
    • CommentTimeMay 21st 2016
    Depending on your construction method(s), look for

    Then if masonry/blockwork , try LABC CDs: http://www.labc.co.uk/registration-schemes/construction-details
    or TRADA for T/F http://www.trada.co.uk/publications/?series=Detail%20drawings
    and CBA - http://www.cba-blocks.org.uk/tech/junction-values-fully.html

    Good luck:smile:
    Posted By: PenkestleJust got pulled up by BCO because we are having the inside outside all level and have a large retainer as part of the downstairs build. I could see him twitch and then start to steer me to the 150mm above ground level scenario.

    What tony said or find an architectural student on his final year who is looking for some cash !

    Re having the inside and outside on the same level - I side with the BCO - or have a VERY good french drain between in and out or otherwise how will you keep the outside outside?
    It does sound like you need an architect / designer or experience builder along side you. Probably not what you want to hear but our detailed design was twice the price of the planning drawings from our architect, but when you see the amount of work that went into them it was completely justified.
    • CommentTimeMay 21st 2016
    What is actually involved in this type of detail design, is it the combination of materials and the order they go in?
    Knocking up stuff like that in a CAD package is generally not too hard in general. So there must be more to it than meet the eye.
    • CommentAuthorPenkestle
    • CommentTimeMay 22nd 2016
    Thanks for the replies all :-)

    @Tony @DarylP Useful pointers will follow up Thanks

    @Peter - French drain is already part of the spec and keeping the outside outside in this day really shouldn't be a biggy if you do it right. Our last property had an area that was level threshold and I completed that using straightforward common sense and a BCO that chipped in with his views. It worked well. In fairness there is hardly a shop on the high street that isn't outside to inside on the same level I really don't get why BCO wobble so much unless its the come backs from not spotting something hence the detail :-)

    @Richard Don't mind hearing that, in fact I agree - who did you use for detailed design?

    @SteamyTea (cracking username) Nothing more to it than meets the eye really - I'm not a full time builder, Been developing, converting, extending for 30 years (ex spark, plumber with a family of stone masons and chippys so been in and around it for life really) so competent but not in the know. A full time guy would know what materials, products, alternative approaches etc etc Like Richard said experienced builder would be great however I am 370 miles away from my contact base built over 30 years and they aren't going to travel. At the moment I am feeling very alone on this build lol but its been something that I have wanted to do since I was in my early 20's and I will do it even if it kills me.

    The level threshold is really just part of a bigger picture - I have a reasonably good idea of what detail I would use in various places however I do need to run those things past someone in the know and gain that detail for when the BCO doesn't understand where I am coming from about certain aspects - I also would like to put my mind at rest that I have everything covered correctly. As for drawing - I just don't have the time honest :-)

    My blog is at halfmilelane.co.uk there is more info there

    Cheers all
    I used a local firm of architects. I'd recommend using someone local so that they can pop into site when there are issues and advise on specific circumstances. I've found that it is much more a process that just being given a set of drawings up front as issues will inevitably arrive.

    I obviously don't know your full circumstances but it sounds like you need and experienced builder, project manager or building control officer that will be prepared to offer some ongoing advice. Perhaps you need to ask around and hopefully you will find someone local?
Add your comments

    Username Password
  • Format comments as
The Ecobuilding Buzz
Site Map    |   Home    |   View Cart    |   Pressroom   |   Business   |   Links   

© Green Building Press