Home  5  Books  5  GBEzine  5  News  5  HelpDesk  5  Register  5  GreenBuilding.co.uk
Not signed in (Sign In)


Green Building Bible, Fourth Edition
Green Building Bible, fourth edition (both books)
These two books are the perfect starting place to help you get to grips with one of the most vitally important aspects of our society - our homes and living environment.

PLEASE NOTE: A download link for Volume 1 will be sent to you by email and Volume 2 will be sent to you by post as a book.

Buy individually or both books together. Delivery is free!

powered by Surfing Waves

Vanilla 1.0.3 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome to new Forum Visitors
Join the forum now and benefit from discussions with thousands of other green building fans and discounts on Green Building Press publications: Apply now.

    • CommentAuthorEd Davies
    • CommentTimeSep 13th 2020
    What do you call a fastener which has a wood screw type of thread on one half then a machine thread on the other half?

    Sort of like a coach bolt only with the normally smooth part having a thread you can run nuts along.

    You can use them to screw into wood then run one or more nuts down them to hold something into place. I think they can come either with or without a head. The ones I particularly remember had no head; you screw them in by cinching two nuts up against each other on the machine thread part then using a spanner or socket on the pair. Maybe in that case somebody had chopped the head off, dunno.

    If I knew what they were called it'd be easier to search for a source; I'm thinking of using them to hold PV panels on to the outside of a timber gable.

    I came across them well over a decade ago while trying to diagnose a leak in the roof of this observatory: http://www.wycombeastro.org/our-observatory
    • CommentAuthorLF
    • CommentTimeSep 13th 2020
    Hi Ed, is this what you are after ? Double End Threaded Machine Self Tapping Screw
    Also try

    "hanger bolt" - some have a hex section in the middle you turn with a spanner

    "Wood to metal dowel" - shorter

    Edit: No idea if these are good but maybe what you need
    • CommentAuthorCliff Pope
    • CommentTimeSep 14th 2020
    There are also wood to wood dowels. I'm not sure what they are meant to be used for, but I have seen them used as the hinges in primitive centrally-pivotted windows. They are not very good as the window isn't centralised and they gradually wear out.
    • CommentTimeSep 14th 2020
    I remember these. Stud? Like cylinder head studs, or wheel studs.
    • CommentTimeSep 14th 2020
    Posted By: LFHi Ed, is this what you are after ? Double End Threaded Machine Self Tapping Screw

    That link covers all the bases I think. Well found! They look like they have flats ground on in the middle to enable tightening the stud. The 'Customers who viewed this item also viewed' bit covers all the other types including different sizes.
    • CommentAuthorEd Davies
    • CommentTimeSep 14th 2020
    Yes, those are the sort of things I'm after. Thanks folks, particular LF. Not sure I'll get exactly those but as DJH says the “also viewed” bit is good. Also, I can point to them when I talk to the people I've got stainless fasteners from in the past - being in an exposed spot only 2km for the North Sea encourages the use of those, particularly near aluminium.
    • CommentAuthorowlman
    • CommentTimeSep 14th 2020
    The ones with woodscrew at both ends used to be called "Dowel Screws"
    The ones with woodscrew threads at one end and machine threads at the other are "Handrail Screws or Bolts".
    They are used to screw into a newel post and the machine end goes into a hole with a mortice on the handrail underside. The two are tightened with a nut with cuts in it to allow tightening from the side with a flat punch.
Add your comments

    Username Password
  • Format comments as
The Ecobuilding Buzz
Site Map    |   Home    |   View Cart    |   Pressroom   |   Business   |   Links   

© Green Building Press