Home  5  Books  5  GBEzine  5  News  5  HelpDesk  5  Register  5  GreenBuilding.co.uk
Not signed in (Sign In)


Green Building Bible, Fourth Edition
Green Building Bible, fourth edition (both books)
These two books are the perfect starting place to help you get to grips with one of the most vitally important aspects of our society - our homes and living environment.

PLEASE NOTE: A download link for Volume 1 will be sent to you by email and Volume 2 will be sent to you by post as a book.

Buy individually or both books together. Delivery is free!

powered by Surfing Waves

Vanilla 1.0.3 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome to new Forum Visitors
Join the forum now and benefit from discussions with thousands of other green building fans and discounts on Green Building Press publications: Apply now.

    • CommentAuthorShevek
    • CommentTimeJun 18th 2018 edited
    We're doing an EWI house that requires a NHBC warranty and NHBC Standard 2018 clause 6.9.8 requires the use of FR grade EPS to BS EN 13163

    Any thoughts on FR grade EPS? What do they treat it with? How effective is it (are there any case studies)?

    Seems to be readily available from EWI system suppliers. Is it worth considering mineral wool instead? Not a huge fan on plastic in principle.
    all EPS from EWI suppliers and for
    EWI is usually treated with Fire resistant additive.
    it makes it shrink back rather than ignite.
    As far as im aware its a pretty unpleasant chemical in environmental degradation terms

    Ive seen a few house with rockwool EWI over 15 years old that appeared in good order.
    Issue are, weak against vermin , water ingress would cause serious damage
    • CommentAuthorShevek
    • CommentTimeJun 19th 2018
    Thanks James.
    • CommentAuthorTimSmall
    • CommentTimeJul 1st 2018
    IIRC, the old type of fire retardant which was used (a bromine compound I think?) is now not legal for use in the EU, so has been replaced by something a bit nicer. Not sure by what and how much better it is.
    • CommentAuthorCWatters
    • CommentTimeJul 4th 2018 edited
    Posted By: ShevekWe're doing an EWI house that requires a NHBC warranty and NHBC Standard 2018 clause 6.9.8 requires the use of FR grade EPS to BS EN 13163

    This is likely to be a hot topic right now following Grenfell. I think I would ask Building Control what FR grade you need and what evidence of compliance you need to provide. Confirm any advice they provide verbally back to them in writing.

    From news coverage it will be clear that tall buildings over 18m should have cladding that has "limited combustibility" but I've also read somewhere that (in England and Wales) EWI closer than 1m to a relevant boundary should also have the same "limited combustibility" rating.
    • CommentAuthorCWatters
    • CommentTimeJul 4th 2018 edited
    Found the boundary issue mentioned here..


    "Combustible systems less than 18 m in height and greater than 1 m from a boundary require no special fire provisions, but within 1 m of a boundary must meet at least European Class B."

    "When less than 1 m from a boundary the EWI over the full building height is required to meet European Class B."
Add your comments

    Username Password
  • Format comments as
The Ecobuilding Buzz
Site Map    |   Home    |   View Cart    |   Pressroom   |   Business   |   Links   

© Green Building Press