Home  5  Books  5  GBEzine  5  News  5  HelpDesk  5  Register  5  GreenBuilding.co.uk
Not signed in (Sign In)


Green Building Bible, Fourth Edition
Green Building Bible, fourth edition (both books)
These two books are the perfect starting place to help you get to grips with one of the most vitally important aspects of our society - our homes and living environment.

Buy individually or both books together. Delivery is free!

widget @ surfing-waves.com

Vanilla 1.0.3 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome to new Forum Visitors
Join the forum now and benefit from discussions with thousands of other green building fans and discounts on Green Building Press publications: Apply now.

    • CommentAuthortonywright
    • CommentTimeApr 9th 2007 edited
    I do not understand the new Part P regulations. Can I, as a competent electrician (though not registered with any scheme or a professional) complete the electrics in my new self build home? Even the Building Regulation Department seem unsure in my County!
    • CommentAuthorGuest
    • CommentTimeApr 10th 2007
    I believe the answer is yes. But you will need to make a building regs application for the work to be inspected. At which point, your BCO may step in and say he/she wants you to use a Part P qualified electrician. The interpretation of how Part P is implemented seems to vary from council to council.
    It's what I've done - I rewired the whole house. Before I started the work (and this seems to be a very important bit) I spoke to building reg's to tell them that was what I was going to do. I had prepared some plans with some key details (wiring sizes, fuse box arrangement, number of points and run lengths etc). I seem to recall having to pay them to come out and test it all, but it wasn't a great deal of money. I also had to pay to get a isolator switch added to the meter - something that easily allows you to kill the power to the whole house. This was about 100 quid.
    As Adrian says, there's nothing to stop you doing the work yourself, provided it satisfies your BCO. If you know a sparks who does have his or her Part P ticket, they can also sign off the work to the satisfaction of your BCO.
    Here in Wales it costs around £140 to have the BCO out to inspect and sign off a DIY wiring job - but you need to let them know before you do your first fix in case they need to have a look at that before it all gets covered up.
    • CommentAuthortonywright
    • CommentTimeApr 14th 2007
    Thanks for the advice guys. I have told the BCO and they seem to be a little confused as to what they want from me - I have offered them the chance to inspect first fix but as none of the inspectors have any electrical knowledge they have passed up the opportunity. Maybe I should take a few digital snaps of the installation prior to plastering.............?!
    • CommentTimeApr 26th 2007
    Hi Tony,
    I know this is a bit of a late reply, but I hope I can shed some light on the new Part P.
    The way things are set out there are three "classes" of installer allowed for in the regs: The DIY installer, the qualified electrician who is not "Part P registered" and the qualified electrician who is. All of the above are allowed to carry out whatever domestic works they want, but the extent to which Building Control must verify the installation varies.

    A qualified "Part P registered" sparky only has to register the work he has done with his Part P registration body (NICEIC Elecsa, Napit et al) and these bodies will directly inform the local Authority Building Control that it has been done. Same as a CORGI gas job, this is end of story - usually automatically approved.
    Notifiable works being done by a qualified "non Part P registered" sparky or a DIY'er are subject to application to Building Control before starting the work (unless it is part of a larger job like an extension in which case it is included in the main application). The fee payable will depend on the value of works including the electrical work and no extra charge can be levied over and above the standard application fee to cover the cost of inspection and testing by building control .
    Building control should be informed at the stage of completed 1st fix that they can come out to inspect, which they can do themselves, or they can pay a Part P registered electician to do for them or they can choose not to inspect at all - as they see fit. When the work is complete, if a qualified electrician did the work he should complete and supply to the customer a BS7671 Certificate for the work he has done, which the BCO will want to see. He, or any DIY installer should inform building control when the work is complete who in turn may choose to inspect and test before issuing their completion certificate. They will take any BS7671 cert issued against the job into consideration and can approve with or without further testing. They can either not test at all, test the work themselves, or instruct a Part P registered electrician of their choosing to do it for them. If the latter is done then this must be carried out by the same sparky who inspected the first fix).

    Clear --- as mud? :wink:
    Thanks Martian. That truly does clear it up for me, thanks for that mate. Next question, how do I get one of those little icons next to my name?
    • CommentTimeMay 5th 2007
    To get an icon you will need to find a suitable picture which I think should be in ".jpg" format.
    Try to use a picture which is square as it will automatically be cropped to a size of 32x32 pixel .
    Now log in and you will see the four tabs:
    All Discussions Categories Search Account

    Select "Account" and then in the column that appears on the left choose "Account Pictures". From here on, uploading your icon or profile picture is easy. :thumbup:
    • CommentAuthorGuest
    • CommentTimeMay 7th 2007
    I am a security alarm installer, and setting my own business up shortly.
    Could anyone shed some light on the arrangement for the spur etc, why do you need part P?
    Does that mean i cant carry out the work??

    Its crazy if not.
    • CommentAuthortony
    • CommentTimeMay 9th 2007
    Best idea to get round it is to plug in you installation rather than use a spur. Otherwise you will need a Part P person to do the spur for you. The alarm wires are OK for us all to as they fall outside part P.
    • CommentTimeMay 13th 2007
    Adding a spurred power socket to an existing circuit is not a notifiable job under Part P. Anyone can do it and quite legally not inform Building Control.
    • CommentAuthorGuest
    • CommentTimeMay 14th 2007
    re: the last few posts: -

    As an alarm installer, you wont be able to use the plug and socket trick for your systems as they wont comply with BS for intruder alarms, also its not really a get-around for part p either, as part p is for any fixed wiring, you will have great difficulty arguing your case over using a plug and socket for hard wired equipment that also uses fixed wiring.

    secondly if you wanted to take it to the extremes, alarm cabling could be deemed to be under part p as it encompasses low voltage systems, low voltage being from 0-1000v (as set out in the IEE regs).

    Lastly although adding a spur to an existing circuit may not be (depending on particualr install) notifiable under part p, you are wrong to say anyone can do it, you still have to be qualified to be able to certify the work and should still carry out testing and fill in a BS7671 certificate, otherwise you should notify building control and follow their requests.
    • CommentTimeMay 14th 2007 edited
    Hi Guest,

    The way I see it is:
    Although an alarm installer should certify that he has carried out the fitting of the spur in accordance with BS7671 and should provide a certificate of this to the householder, there is no need to involve Building Control. It does not say in Part P that you have to be "qualified", rather that you must be "competent".
    Even without qualifications, as long as you decide that you are competent and are happy to certificate what you have done you would only need to notify Building Control if the socket was in a "special area" ie a kitchen, etc.
    BS7671 certificates can be obtained and filled in by anyone. If they charge for the work and certificate it they are legally responsible for any harmful outcome.
    Burglar alarms actually operate in the "extra low voltage range" like telephones they are not notifiable under Part P:

    Here is a link to Part P:
Add your comments

    Username Password
  • Format comments as
The Ecobuilding Buzz
Site Map    |   Home    |   View Cart    |   Pressroom   |   Business   |   Links   

© Green Building Press